From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What version of netscape-flash to use with konqueror?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 19:48:00
1 On Monday 05 May 2008 18:04:42 Robin Atwood wrote:
2 > I have just brought my laptop (x86 arch) up to date and so I have KDE 3.5.9
3 > and netscape-flash-9.0.124.0. Now whenever I go to a web page with embedded
4 > flash I get a segfault. I seem to remember that something got broken wrt
5 > konqueror and my amd64 system is using netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1; however,
6 > that version now seems to have been removed. So what version are people
7 > using?
8 >
9 > TIA
10 > -Robin
11 > --
12
13 Taken, sucessfully, from
14 http://mikearthur.co.uk/2007/12/konqueror-with-latest-adobe-flash-howto/
15
16 ====
17
18 KMPlayer is my media player of choice as it allows you to trivially switch
19 between XINE, MPlayer and GStreamer backends and, as of version 0.10.0, has a
20 nifty backend that allows you to use XEmbed-supporting plugins, including
21 Adobe’s Flash plugin, which can then be embedded in Konqueror to allow Flash
22 to work trivially.
23
24 HOWTO:
25
26 Install KMPlayer. It is included in all the major distributions I’ve ever
27 used. Ensure it is installed/compiled with the “NPP” backend enabled which
28 allows the playback of Netscape XEmbed plugins
29
30 Run KMPlayer so it creates its config file. Close it. (This step probably
31 isn’t necessary but it won’t do any harm)
32
33 Open “~/.kde/share/config/kmplayerrc” in a text editor of your choice. Add the
34 following to the end of the file:
35
36 [application/x-shockwave-flash]
37 player=npp
38 plugin=/opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so
39
40 Change the “plugin=” line depending on where the Adobe Flash plugin was
41 installed on your distribution. The above example is where it is installed on
42 Gentoo. (If people could reply with the location of it on their distribution
43 that would be great, thanks!).
44
45 Open Konqueror and click “Settings > Configure Konqueror…”. In the new window
46 navigate to “File Associations” in the left-hand panel and
47 select “application/x-shockwave-flash“. Click the “Embedding” tab and
48 click “Add..“. Select “Embedded MPlayer for KDE” from the new window. If it
49 is not there then you may need to restart KDE or run “kbuildsycoca” from a
50 terminal. Close all the opened windows.
51
52 Enjoy a working Flash in Konqueror!
53
54 ===
55
56 As at least one of the commenters from the blog, I didn't habe an
57 application/x-shockwave-flash association, so had to create it.
60 Mike Williams
61 --
62 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list