From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Devicekit - especially just for Dale
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:39:59
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > As our resident hal-hater-in-charge, Dale will no doubt be *very* pleased to
3 > hear of what Ubuntu is doing for 10.04:
4 >
5 > entirely removing hal in favour of DeviceKit.
6 >
7 > When I say *entirely*, that's what the blog said - entirely. If this pans out,
8 > maybe there's a chance Dale can get a working (recent!) X at long last
9 >
10 > :-)
13 YEPPIE !!!! Although I must say that my X works just fine without hal.
14 It just doesn't work WITH hal.
15
16 From my understanding, isn't the same guy doing devicekit that did
17 hal? I'm not saying it won't be better because it should be. From what
18 I read a good while back, he learned a lot about the pitfalls of hal.
19 He, most likely, will know best how to do it differently this time. I
20 think hal was well intentioned but somewhere it just got lost and got
21 real "geeky". I never did figure out the config files. They may as
22 well have been in Greek or something.
23
24 I'm hoping devicekit will be easier to config if not automagically
25 configuring itself, sort of like udev. For me, udev just seemed to
26 work. Let's all cross our fingers.
27
28 Dale
29