From: Rafael Barreto <rafaelmbarreto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] About sed
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 03:49:21
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm learning about the use of the sed command and I have some questions. I'm
4 trying to read in /etc/conf.d/clock the CLOCK variable with:
5
6 sed '/^CLOCK="*"$/p' /etc/conf.d/clock
7
8 This command, in principe, must print in screen the line that contains
9 CLOCK= in the begin, contains anything between double quotes and ends. Well,
10 this doesn't return anything. If I enter the above command without $, all is
11 ok. But, if I would like to return just that line contains CLOCK="anything"
12 and nothing more? For example,
13
14 CLOCK="anything" # set clock of the system
15
16 and
17
18 CLOCK="anything"
19
20 are different.
21
22 Other thing... if i put:
23
24 sed '/^CLOCK=*/p' /etc/conf.d/clock
25
26 the return will be anything that contains CLOCK. Why?
27
28 I suppose that I didn't undestand the use of regular expression
29 metacharacters. So, please, anyone to explain me that?
30
31 Thanks a lot and sorry by my english...