From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mobo/proc combination
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 04:33:15
1 Hey group,
2
3 My trusty old computer died tonight :( I am stuck with my winders laptop
4 for a few days until I can get in a new mobo and processor. I am looking at
5 getting something like an AMD 64 or a Pentium D dual core. I can get one of
6 the two models below for a really good price on newegg.
7
8 AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 800MHz HT Socket 754
9 or
10 Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual
11 Core,EM64T Processor
12
13 Both of these are in the <$150 price range for processors that I want to
14 stay at, though I will go up to about $200 for a proc. I have always used
15 AMD at home though never had an AMD 64 yet. If I go Intel then I would want
16 it to have either HT or dual core.
17
18 If anyone has a good suggestion for a proc < $200, please let me know.
19
20 The next item is a mobo to go with the proc. For the mobo I really want
21 SATA, PCI express, onboard audio and lan. I don't want onboard video, I
22 will get a newer Nvida card to handle video. All the onboard stuff must
23 work under Gentoo, I won't have MS on the new box.
24
25 I am not sure if I should go intel or amd64. I am not looking for an amd vs
26 intel flame war, just suggestions based on personal experience.
27
28 This box will be my main home computer running Gentoo. I am a programmer so
29 I want a system that will be fast for compiling, some Linux games from time
30 to time, uh... compiling Gentoo : ), watching videos/dvd's and maybe 1-2
31 times a year I will encode a video.
32
33 Thanks for any tip,
34