From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No wifi
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 14:46:47
1 On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 10:31:21AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > One thing I should've mentioned in the first post is that booting from
3 > the minimal install USB, wlan0 does show up, so the hardware works.
4
5 That's because the "minimal" install disk actually has quite a lot of stuff
6 installed/enabled, to support all (or, as much as possible) common hardware in a
7 live environment, as this generally runs before the point at which the user can
8 configure their own kernel.
9
10 > On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 05:59:37AM +0100, Ashley Dixon wrote
11 > > It doesn't look like it's loading the firmware. Are there any obvious
12 > > firmware-loading errors in dmesg ?
13 >
14 > What is ASPM and what is error -2? BTW, on my first attempt, when I
15 > accidentally tried a non-existant firmware path, the kernel compile died
16 > early on. Here is what I get in dmesg with ucode 8.83.5.1-1
17
18 Error -2 means that it can't find the file: "ENOENT 2 No such file or
19 directory". You should install the firmware through `sys-kernel/linux-firmware`,
20 and then edit your .config accordingly (as Michael mentioned, no subdirectories
21 are added by the Gentoo package):
22
23 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"
24 CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode"
25
26 > > That looks fine, although why are you using such an outdated version
27 > > of the microcode ? For kernels 2.6.38+, you can use 8.83.5.1-1.
28 >
29 > The way the items lined up on the webpage, I mis-interpreted it to
30 > mean one driver for 5100AGN, one for 5300AGN, and one for 5350AGN. See
31 > attachment.
32
33 The table is slightly misleading, but I think that any of the listed firmware
34 packages can work for any of the listed devices, and the only distinction
35 between the files is the supported kernel versions. Thus, you should be able to
36 safely use the latest version.
37
38 > > Perhaps it would be better to install it from
39 > > the Gentoo-provided firmware package ? Amend
40 > > /etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware to include the
41 > > appropriate entries (listing at [1]), and emerge `linux-firmware`
42 > > with the `savedconfig` USE-flag.
43 >
44 > I'll do that next if there's nothing obvious here.
45
46 Yes, that is your next step. Append the appropriate entries to your savedconfig
47 file and emerge `linux-firmware` with `savedconfig`:
48
49 iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode
50 iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode
51 iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode