From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: codec h264
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:11:13
1 Uwe Thiem <uwix <at> iway.na> writes:
4 > > > anybody in the know whether there is a h264 codec (especially an
5 > > > *encoder*) for linux?
6
7 > I asked because we encoded a 1h45m movie with h264 on an mac with surprising
8 > results. The whole movie in full PAL quality shrunk to about 500MB!!!! The
9 > encoding took 5 hours on a dual G5, though.
10
11 ffmpeg is raw code for any and all things video. Most of the aforementioned
12 software makes use of ffmpeg in one way or another. CVS is the only way
13 to get at the latest code base....Lots of different codecs and folks
14 that know their stuff on codecs....
15
16 http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/index.php
17
18 an old, stale version is in portage:
19 (eix ffmpeg)
20
21 PS drop me a line if/when you get the h264 codec working out of cvs
22 on gentoo....
23
24 I have several different pieces of hardware that produce 'h.264' based
25 video, everything from embedded systems that are a 'hack in progress'
26 to finished products from the orient. Interoperability testing
27 is always of keen interest to me.
30 HTH,
31 James
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list