From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing an old glibc to run a proprietary commercial tool (would that even help?)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:27:47
1 On Freitag 30 Oktober 2009, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2
3 > > 3. If it is glibc, is there some way to install glibc slotted? Could
4 > > I install an old version of glibc to some other lib folder (like
5 > > /opt/lib64), and then use LD_LIBRARY_PATH somehow to get the tool to
6 > > look there first? How?
7 >
8 > You can't have multiple versions of glibc. And you can't downgrade
9 > glibc. Attempting to do so may result in having more than just that
10 > program misbehaving ;)
11
12 you can have multiple glibc's. Just not via portage.
13 But yes, it is a mess. A mess that is most likely to explode violently.
16 > My suggestion, for your sanity and support: if you insist on Gentoo then
17 > at least run RHEL4 (or CentOS or whatever) inside a virtual machine and
18 > run your app from there.
21 yeah, I would go down that route too.