From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't find /dev/md3 on new install
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:24:18
1 Am 07.10.2010 22:06, schrieb Mike Diehl:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm building a new server, only this time, I'm using RAID1 for the boot, swap,
5 > and root partitions. (sda and sdb)
6 >
7 > I've gottent the install complete, but when I reboot, fsck.ext3 says that
8 > can't find /dev/md3, which is my root partition.
9 >
10 > I "borrowed" a .config file from another server where RAID1 is working, so I
11 > know I've got RAID in the kernel. I did the prescribed mknod in /dev/ to
12 > create the md device nodes.
13 >
14 > I also did the mdadm --scan --verbose > /etc/mdadm.conf.
15 >
16 > What could I be missing?
19 You can try to explicitly specify the RAID to the kernel instead of
20 relying on autodetection. Add the following line to your kernel
21 parameter list:
22 raid=noautodetect md=3,/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1 root=/dev/md3
23
24 the first parameter on md= is the number of the md node. So if you want
25 it as /dev/md3, you specify the 3. The RAID level is automatically detected.
26
27 Other then that: Make sure the mdm subsystem is really compiled into the
28 kernel and not a module.
29
30 Hope this helps,
31 Florian Philipp