From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] difficulties with lvm2+systemd+grub2
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 10:08:23
1 On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:42:28AM +0100, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:03:04PM +1100, wraeth@×××××××××.au wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 09:56:09PM +0100, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
4 <snip>
5 > systemd. Maybe i could adopt that to my custom one as well.
6 </snip>
7
8 Working examples are always nice :-)
9
10 > > The other point I might add is that my system, which uses dracut, has
11 > > systemd launched with some specific arguments:
12 > >
13 > > ps -fp 1
14 > > UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
15 > > root 1 0 0 11:31 ? 00:00:00
16 > > /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --switched-root --system --deserialize 18
17 > >
18 > > This may be relevant when creating your own initramfs.
19 >
20 > Thanks, thats something i could try as well :)
21
22 I'm not sure of the relevancy (it was just an observation), and I'm not
23 sure how the options (specifically --deserialize NN) is determined since
24 another of my machines has
25
26 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --switched-root --system --deserialize 19
27
28 > > > First of all, with systemd installed I can't install lvm2 with the
29 > > > static use flag anymore, which is mandatory for being able using it for
30 > > > a initramfs. Why isn't that possible? How can I use the lvm binaries for
31 > > > my initramfs?
32 > >
33 > > Again, as I think has been mentioned, the 'static' use flag is typically
34 > > a shortcut for easily building an initrd. Provided you include all the
35 > > dependencies of a given binary (as seen with `ldd /path/to/binary`) you
36 > > don't need static binaries.
37 >
38 > Yeah, now i was digging a bit further into static binaries. If I insert the
39 > relevant libaries it should work too. :)
40 > However i was wondering why lvm2 shouldn't be able to build with the
41 > static flag on systemd. However that's not important any more, i'm just
42 > curious :)
43
44 This *is* odd, but without a build log we can't really tell (unless
45 someone else has encountered the issue too).
46
47 > Well, at the wiki it's written you should run:
48 > genkernel --udev --lvm
49 > in order to generate the initramfs. But, you already mentioned it, you
50 > need a target in order generate anything, but it isn't mentioned at the
51 > wiki.
52 > As i'm not familar with genkernel i was a bit confused about the
53 > command. I would suggest following for example:
54 > genkernel --udev --lvm [target]
55
56 Fixed :-)
57