From: Luis Ortiz <wichos@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - GIMP question
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:42:15
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > I've got an image that my wife created in pbrush.exe in Windows. The
3 > image has a white background which I need to change to tranparent. Is
4 > there a way to do this in GIMP? I tried manipulating the layers, but as
5 > there is only one layer I didn't have much success...
6
7 1. Open the image.
8 2. Edit > Select All (Ctrl+A)
9 3. Edit > Copy (Ctrl+C)
10 4. File > New (Ctrl+N)
11 a. You don't need to change the size, as The GIMP already knows the
12 dimensions of what you have in the clipboard.
13 5. On the "New Dialog", click Advanced Options.
14 6. Click on the drop down box that is labeled "Fill With:" and select
15 Transparency, and press OK
16 7. Edit > Paste (Ctrl+V)
17 8. Edit > New Layer...
18 9. Anchor the layer (Ctrl+H)
19 10.Now you have a background transparent. Two layers. Choose the Erase tool and
20 erase at will :)
21 11. There are some GIMP techniques on the Internet to use masks and all that
22 advanced and cool stuff, sorry but I don't have time to give you the link. I'll
23 post it as soon as I get home. I've to leave work right now.
24
25 Hope this helps.
28 Luis Ortiz
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list