From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild problem
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 23:22:16
1 A few extra inline comments to reinforce what you just said:
4 On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 01:02:24 +0200
5 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6
7 > Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 00:37:36 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
8 > > Hi,
9 > > I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good
10 > > it works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.
11 > >
12 > > However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
13 > > message
14 > >
15 > > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
16 > > * broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
17 > > * broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
18 > > * broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)
19 >
20 > so, find out which package these three belong to - and remove them.
21 > n
22 > >
23 > > emerge --update --pretend
24 >
25 > why pretend?
28 > > I'm warned in advance if a portage update is available. It seems
29 > > that emerge is able to warn about critical updates.
30 >
31 > only about portage updates.
32
33 and it's hard-coded:
34
35 if (update available)
36 print alarming message
40 > > On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
41 > > I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
42 > > re-boot unless I compile a new kernel.
43 >
44 > really? never saw that. Only with xorg-drivers after a xorg-server
45 > update.
46 >
47 > > It would be nice if I can be
48 > > warned *before* I run emerge without the --pretend option. Then I
49 > > could postpone the update to the next weekend, when I have more
50 > > time.
51 >
52 > so you want portage to read every single ebuild, making the operation
53 > A LOT longer? I am sorry but I am not willing to waste so much time.
54
55 Not only that but it's impossible for portage to know this before hand
56 unless some dev puts the information in the ebuild. And the infra to
57 check that does not exist.
58
59 This is all right correct and proper. The only way to know an update
60 breaks something is to build and test it. That's how Ubuntu does it:
61 the dev builds it, installs it, finds it breaks stuff. So it gets
62 committed to a repo with a warning that *the*dev*already*knows*about*
63
64 The Gentoo dev DOES NOT know about it, and cannot either. These
65 breakages are usually dependant on the environment they are used in and
66 only the user knows that. As you and I well know, the compiling Gentoo
67 user is that analogy of the Ubuntu DEV
71 > > My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
72 > > updates are available, so that users know in advance that a
73 > > particular update will break the system.
74 >
75 > please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember one.
76 > Hm, back with libss&co maybe?
77
78 jpeg-7, expat2 ....
79
80 Those were dealt with in the only sane manner possible:
81
82 ~arch: tough. Keep both pieces.
83 arch: news item in advance
87 > > Of course, this mailing list is not the proper place for such
88 > > suggestions. Can anybody tell me whom I should ask?
89 >
90 > bugzilla. Feature request.
96 Alan McKinnon
97 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com