From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem understanding "eix"
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 17:46:49
1 Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> > I STRONGLY beg to disagree! The "~amd64" notation is used to ACCEPT a
4 >> > package even though it is (still) classified as UNSTABLE.
5 >>
6 >> This is package-manager terminology [...]
7 >
8 > No it's USER terminology. It's what users are confronted with when they
9 > set-up their Portage configuration and when they deal with commands like
10 > "emerge", "equery", and ilk.
11
12 So it is not package-manager terminology, but the terminology which
13 is used by users when they use the package-manager. I cannot see any
14 difference, but it doesn't matter. This discussion leads to nothing.
15
16 > Simply due to USER EXPECTATION the term "unstable" HAS to be
17 > the opposite of "isstable"
18
19 Not in gentoo. There ARCH is called the stable keyword and ~ARCH
20 is called the unstable keyword.
21 Again, this discussion leads to nothing. I will stop it here.