From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -uD world dies: "Unable to build"
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:40:09
1 On Tuesday 29 January 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > > Read this guide carefully and follow it to the
3 > > letter:
4 > >
5 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
6 >
7 > deeper and deeper...
10 > "It is safe to remove the older GCC version at this
11 > time. If you feel the need, please issue the following
12 > command (as usual, substitute =sys-devel/gcc-3.4* with
13 > the version you want to uninstall):"
14 >
15 > gcc-4.1.2 was already emerged earlier but running gcc
16 > --version reveals 3.4.6, so I ran
17 >
18 > #emerge -aC =sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r2
19 >
20 > <...>
21 > --- !empty dir /etc/eselect
22 > --- !empty dir /etc/env.d/gcc
23 > --- !empty dir /etc/env.d
24 > --- !empty dir /etc
25 > * Running 'fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.6'
26 > * Scanning libtool files for hardcoded gcc library
27 > paths...
28 > gcc-config error: Could not run/locate "gcc"
29 >
30 > :0: assertion failed: (gcc -dumpversion) | getline
31 >
32 > NEWVER)
33
34 Are you sure that you have emerged (successfully) the latest stable gcc?
35
36 > And now I don't seem to have any sort of gcc:
37 >
38 > localhost heathen # gcc --version
39 > gcc-config error: Could not run/locate "gcc"
40 >
41 > and emerge -uD world still fails at the same place.
42
43 Retrace your steps and follow the guide on this one. I'm sure that you can
44 recover if you ended up with no gcc, but don't know off hand what it takes to
45 do it. (I am sure that the forums are full of suggestions for this problem).
46
47 If you are certain that you have had the correct gcc installed and gcc-config
48 shows that it has been selected, and you have finished with the steps
49 suggested in the guide above, then run revdep-rebuild -X -p -v once more for
50 good measure before you try to emerge anything else.
51
52 HTH.
53 --
54 Regards,