From: eroen <eroen@××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 02:13:57
1 On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 08:54:38 +0800, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I'm doing some research on the topic of LiveCD's and was after
4 > any input the list may have.
5 >
6 > I'm a tutor at a Uni in Australia teaching, amongst others, 1st
7 > year Engineering students. We teach them C. Last year we had a lab
8 > set up and as well, they could ssh into a Linux box from home so that
9 > they could do assignments. Now due to a bureaucratic change ssh
10 > access is now gone.
11 >
12 > I would guess that there would be under 1% Linux penetration
13 > with respect to home computers and I've tried, in the past, to help
14 > students set up a dev environment on Macs - a horrid experience, and
15 > lets not even mention trying to easily set up Win* with a dev
16 > environemt
17 >
18 > I'm looking for a lightweight LiveCD that includes a graphical
19 > environment and gcc/clang so that we can make it available on our
20 > internal network for the students to download/burn and use at home.
21 > Does anyone have any ideas/experience in something like this? I've
22 > looked at Lubuntu but it lacks gcc.
23 >
24 > Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
25 >
26 > Andrew
30 You know, if you can be a bit flexible in the 'lightweight' department,
31 Gentoo has some really splendid full-featured live dvds. See the
32 release announcement[1] for the last official release (list of
33 included packages at [2]). More recent pre-release versions are
34 available at [3]. The livedvd team has an irc channel #gentoo-ten on
35 Freenode too.
36
37 If your requirements are more specific, you could leverage catalyst[4],
38 Gentoo's script for generating release media. It should be possible to
39 add or remove packages from the spec files used for the livedvd,
40 ostensibly available at [5]. You may wish to confer with #gentoo-releng
41 on Freenode for specific questions on catalyst usage.
42
43 1: http://www.gentoo.org/news/20121221-livedvd.xml
44 2: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/releases/20121221/livedvd-amd64-multilib-20121221.iso.PACKAGES.txt
45 3: http://releases.gentooligans.com/