From: Edward Catmur <ed@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why gpm?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:49:48
1 On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 18:00 +0200, Jes__s Garc__a Crespo wrote:
2 > Hi! I don't understand why gpm was included in the Gentoo base system.
3 > It was not in there before and I didn't find information about the
4 > reasons. But I could tell you my case: I installed Gentoo in my
5 > dedicated server in EEUU (I am from Spain) and I had to uninstall gpm
6 > since I won't use it anymore. I think that, for example, dhcpcd would be
7 > more logical to be included than gpm, don't you think so?
8
9 I suppose the reason is that when setting up a system on the console, it
10 helps to be able to cut-and-paste text with the mouse. While dhcpcd is
11 useful for servers, it isn't needed during initial setup, whereas gpm
12 is, even if it isn't used after that.
13
14 Ed
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list