From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2017 16:59:01
1 On 27/11/17 22:30, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I need to expand two bcache fronted 4xdisk btrfs raid 10's - this
4 > requires purchasing 4 drives (and one system does not have room for two
5 > more drives) so I am trying to see if using raid 5 is an option
6 >
7 > I have been trying to find if btrfs raid 5/6 is stable enough to use but
8 > while there is mention of improvements in kernel 4.12, and fixes for the
9 > write hole problem I cant see any reports that its "working fine now"
10 > though there is a phoronix article saying Oracle is using it since the
11 > fixes.
12 >
13 > Is anyone here successfully using btrfs raid 5/6? What is the status of
14 > scrub and self healing? The btrfs wiki is woefully out of date :(
15 >
16 Or put btrfs over md-raid?
17
18 Thing is, with raid-6 over four drives, you have a 100% certainty of
19 surviving a two-disk failure. With raid-10 you have a 33% chance of
20 losing your array.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol