From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Poor sound quality
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 20:07:57
1 On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 09:34:21PM -0700, Chris Stankevitz wrote
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > My sound started sounding like crap ~6 months ago. Imagine someone
5 > has control of my volume knob and is quickly (~5Hz) turning the volume
6 > knob up and down. That is a rough idea of what it sounds like.
7 >
8 > This happens whether I am listening a beautiful song or whether I'm
9 > listening to 'white noise'. Happens with my laptop speakers or with
10 > headphones.
11 >
12 > Can anyone hazard a guess as to what is wrong? FYI I'm using a Dell
13 > M6600 with the same amd64 gentoo install for ~2 years.
14
15 At the risk of starting a flamewar, did you recently install a "sound
16 server" (e.g. pulseaudio/phonon/whatever)? Can you temporarily disable
17 it and see how the sound comes out?
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications