From: Tom Eastman <tom@×××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for a TV Box
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:54:28
1 Hey Guys,
2
3 I've got a reasonably stripped down gentoo box (P3-733) with a good video
4 card running in my living room, with the TV as its monitor and a wireless
5 keyboard and mouse.
6
7 Sounds great so far, doesn't it? But what shall I do with it? It has good
8 TV out capability but no TV in. I have freevo running at the moment, but
9 not MythTV, I'm not really brave enough yet, it seems pretty complicated to
10 set up (I have exactly zero MySQL experience).
11
12 So, how would you go about getting a good computing experience out of an
13 older computer with a TV output? What do people think would make a nice
14 window manager? It would be kind of cool to get things like web-browsing
15 or email up and running. I'm kind of thinking some kind of non-window
16 based interface would be cool, like what you see on palm devices and such.
17 As well as locking it down to nice big fonts that can be easily read on a
18 TV screen.
19
20 So what do people think? At the moment its primary function is to grab
21 movies and stuff off of my NFS and play them throught the TV, but I'm sure
22 there is potential for it to be so much more!
23
24 Inspire me! ;-)
25
26 Tom