From: Peter Ruskin <peter.ruskin@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Kweather panel applet: unable to set station
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:13:05
1 On Tuesday 31 October 2006 17:58, darren kirby wrote:
2 > I have just moved and one thing I needed to do was update the
3 > weather station for my panel applet. In the config dialogue I
4 > have two tabs: "Display" and "Weather Service". I am able to
5 > select my new city in the "Available stations" and even check the
6 > weather using "Update All", however, I can not set this new
7 > station to be the one displayed on the panel.
8 >
9 > Even when I delete my old town from the "Weather Service" tab it
10 > remains in the "Location" dropdown in the Display tab. After
11 > hitting "Defaults" a few times, now I get only "Unknown Station"
12 > in the drop-down. There seems to be no way to set the station to
13 > be displayed on the panel...
14 >
15 > The help docs don't seem to correspond to the actual software:
16 >
17 > "If you don't know the ICAO code for the airport nearest to you,
18 > you can click on the link labeled Lookup Your ICAO Code to use a
19 > web based search engine to find it."
20 >
21 > I don't have such a link on mine, and there is no way (that I can
22 > find) to edit the value in the "Location" drop down.
23 >
24 > Again from the docs:
25 >
26 > "right mouse button click on an empty space in the panel and
27 > choose Add->Applet->KWeather
28 > A configuration dialog will open up. Initially the only
29 > configuration required to make KWeather work is the ICAO location
30 > code:."
31 >
32 > When I do this no configuration starts up. I can use the menu to
33 > select configuration, but this just leads to the same dialogue
34 > that I cannot do anything from...
35 >
36 > Does anyone know what's up with this?
37 > KDE is 3.5.5...
38 >
39 Yes, KWeather *is* a bit messy. Not all the stations listed
40 in /usr/kde/3.5/share/apps/kweatherservice/stations.dat are
41 available in the selector combo. This makes selecting your station
42 in the Kontact Summary view problematic. However, for the KWeather
43 panel applet you can manually edit (after shutting down the applet)
44 the file ~/.kde3.5/share/config/weather_panelappletrc. Minr
45 contains this:
46
47 [General Options]
48 dock_font=helvetica,8,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
49 log_file_name=
50 logging=false
51 offline_mode=true
52 report_location=EGNR
53 reportview_size=450,325
54 smallview_mode=2
55 timout_value=60
56
57 Select the correct code for report_location, restart the applet and
58 you should be OK.
61 Peter
63 Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.1.2_rc1-r1 kernel-2.6.18-gentoo
64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ gcc(GCC): 4.1.1
65 KDE: 3.5.5 Qt: 3.3.6
67 --
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list