From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox and addons no longer supported question
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 02:35:27
1 On 03/30 09:23, Dale wrote:
2 > Adam Carter wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
4 > > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Howdy,
7 > >
8 > > I been holding off on upgrading Firefox.  Basically, it breaks addons
9 > > that I just can't go without.  Tab groups and some other tab utilities
10 > > are among them.  I recently updated temporarily to see just what was
11 > > going to be broken and what I could do to adjust.  It seems some have
12 > > alternatives but some don't.
15 > > The firefox ebuilds are out of date at the moment (
16 > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/650472 ) so its probably not worth upgrading
17 > > until that issue is fixed, unless you use the mozilla overlay.
20 > My biggest problem is that addons are broken on anything 57 and above.
21 > At least that seems to be the version that stops old addons from
22 > working.  Would the latest release have a way for the old addons to
23 > work?  If not, then it doesn't matter if it is 58, 59 or 60.
24 >
25 > Basically, I'm trying to figure out if others are doing like I am and
26 > keeping a older version of Firefox installed because of the addons no
27 > longer working.  If someone has been able to find comparable addons to
28 > the ones that no longer work on the newer Firefox versions, I'd like to
29 > know that as well.  Right now, I'm sticking with older versions of
30 > Firefox.  I don't like the security problems that may cause but it is
31 > what it is.
32 >
33 > Since I posted the message above, I've looked into Palemoon, Vivaldi,
34 > Opera and dug around to see what else I can try.  So far, none of them
35 > can do what pre 57 versions of Firefox can with the addons I use.
36 >
37 > Just trying to get ideas and info on this mess.
38 >
39 > Dale
40 >
41 > :-)  :-)
42
43 Hi,
44
45 I switched to waterfox for privacy reasons and it supports the older
46 plugin system.
47 No need to stay to older version (keeping older bugs, which may
48 affect seurity) ...
49
50 Waterfox is opensourced and it has a smaller memory footprint.
51
52 https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/
53
54 No advertising intended...I am only an user.
55
56 Cheers!
57 Meino