From: Ognjen Bezanov <ognjen@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help with ramdisk
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:49:03
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > Is this an initrd or initramfs (aka, cpio.gz) image?
4 >
5 > If it is initrd, you should have a /linuxrc script to initialize the
6 > system. For grub, you will need:
7 >
8 > kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
9 > initrd=/rootfs.gz
10 >
11 > Then your linuxrc script must *not* exit. It will probably need to
12 > call /sbin/init with something like:
13 >
14 > exec /sbin/init $@
15 >
16 > In your case, /linuxrc probably doesn't need to do much of anything else.
19 > If it is initrams, then you just need to create a /init script and
20 > place the same "exec /sbin/init..." inside it. You do not need the
21 > init= option for the kernel in the grub configuration.
22 >
23 > For some more info, take a look at
24 > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/early-userspace/README
25 >
26 > HTH
27 >
28 > -Richard
29 >
30 > Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
31 >
32 >> Hi all,
33 >>
34 >> Im building an x86 embedded distro using gentoo. Now i have been rather
35 >> successful. I have built the whole system and it works, while only
36 >> taking up 9mb (when gzipped).
37 >>
38 >> Now my question is how to get linux to load the gzipped image file into
39 >> a ramdisk and use it as a root filesystem.
40 >>
41 >> Running the system directly from the CF card works great, but when
42 >> trying to get it to run it in ram it fails
43 >> with "kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)".
44 >>
45 >> My attempt at running the system from ram is as follows:
46 >>
47 >> (grub config file):
48 >>
49 >> kernel /vmlinuz initrd=/rootfs.gz root=/dev/ram0
50 >>
51 >> the rootfs.gz file is ~10Mb, and when uncompressed is an 100mb image
52 >> (most of the image is free space to
53 >> allow for future additions, this is a test bed).
56 >> Now I presume this is probably what is incorrect, in which case can
57 >> anyone help me regarding how to use
58 >> ramdisks as root devices. (googling about tells me that the initrd image
59 >> is not the root image, but rather
60 >> a pre-root mounting fs to prepare the system for booting).
61 >>
62 >> P.S Please CC me as this mailinglist doesnt play nice with my email
63 >> account. thanks!
68 Thanks, that was helpful. Now the system finds the root fs and loads it.
69 But the system still wont boot. It tells me "RAMDISK: Compressed image
70 found at block 0" as a final kernel message, then just sits there (for
71 ages). At lease its closer to functioning then before, but there are a
72 few bugs to iron out.
73
74 What could be wrong?
75