From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Superloader works but doesn't
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:36:21
1 On 12/22/05, daniel <danstemporaryaccount@×××××.ca> wrote:
2 > I've having considerable trouble with writing to a simple tape drive and I'm
3 > hoping that someone here has some experience with it:
4 >
5 > I'm using a Quantum Superloader, so I've installed mtx to manipulate the
6 > tapes. This part works without issue.
7 >
8 > Load the tape from slot #3:
9 >
10 > # mtx -f /dev/sg2 load 3
11 >
12 > Now that it's in the drive, I try to tar something onto it:
13 >
14 > # cd /
15 > # tar cf /dev/st0 bin/
16 > bin/
17 > bin/bash
18 > <a VERY long wait>
19 > tar: /dev/st0: Cannot write: Input/output error
20 > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
21
22 Oy, it has been a _really_ long time since I used tape, so this is all
23 from memory, but I think you need to set the block size of the tape
24 drive and tar to make them agree. Try:
25
26 mt -f /dev/st0 setblk 0
27 tar -cf /dev/st0 -b64 bin/
28
29 The above should set the tape drive to use variable size blocks, and
30 then use tar to write 32k blocks to it. That is if I remember my mt
31 commands correctly...
32
33 -Richard
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list