From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module and kernel woes after two "emerge -DuNe @world"s
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 19:52:56
1 On 6/8/19 1:17 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > I'm not sure I completely understand this one but a thought occurred
3 > to me.
4 Thoughts are good. That's why I asked.
5
6 > This may be way off base here so feel free to ignore it if it is.
7 > Did you make sure the kernel symlink is pointing to the right kernel
8 > when you rebuilt the modules?
9
10 I've not changed kernels. All of this is on 4.9.76-gentoo-r1.
11
12 ls -l /usr/src/linux
13 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Sep 8 2018 /usr/src/linux ->
14 linux-4.9.76-gentoo-r1/
15
16 > I've had times in the past where I missed that and updated video
17 > drivers or something and it got weird. If it isn't pointing to the
18 > right one, it places the modules in the wrong directory. You think you
19 > are doing it right because it doesn't fail, it will install wherever
20 > the symlink points to after all. Still, even tho everything seems
21 > fine, it's putting it in the wrong place.
22
23 I don't think that's the problem this time.
24
25 > If this has nothing to do with the problem, ignore me.
26
27 Questions are good. They give me, and others, an opportunity to confirm
28 what is happening.