From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd'ing small drive to large one
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:05:26
1 On Mon, Jan 31 2011, Alex Schuster wrote:
2
3 > Hi there!
4 >
5 > There is a PC with a 160 GB SATA drive, and I want to replace it with one of
6 > about 1 TB in size. Would this work?
7 >
8 > - attach 2nd drive via SATA port or USB->SATA convertor
9 > - boot from rescue CD
10 > - dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
11 > - remove sda, attach sdb to where sda was
12 > - reboot
13 > - add other partitions or enlarge the last one
14 >
15 > I do not expect problems, but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the different
16 > drive geometry would have an effect on file system or at least to the Grub
17 > boot loader?
18
19 Won't dd'ing the whole disk will make the 1TB disk a 160GB disk.
20
21 I would partition the TB disk as you like and
22 do a tar or rsync on each partition of the original.
23
24 Some care would be needed for /dev and I don't think things like /proc
25 should be copied.
26
27 allan