From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel(R) C600 SAS Controller
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 08:15:22
1 Am 11.06.2014 22:17, schrieb thegeezer:
2 > On 06/11/2014 07:57 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >> looks promising:
6 > awesome. i did have a look through the diff, there are lots of scsi
7 > drivers selected, storage (block) cgroups but i think the crucial factor
8 > was the HZ was set at 100 previously and 1000 now. i guess it has
9 > helped kernel-io though maybe a kernel hacker in here might give a more
10 > authoritative answer
13 The help suggests to choose 100 for servers ... the 1000 comes from the
14 sysresccd-setup, yes.
15
16 I wonder if chosing the "Processor Family" also had an influence.
17
18 And I even wonder more if I have some bad choices in my desktop's kernel
19 as well ;-) it's a grown setup over years ...
20
21 For now it looks good ... I will configure the current kernel as a
22 fallback kernel and maybe play with some options.
25 >> One big fat hw-RAID10 might be better?
26 >> But losing the wrong 2 drives makes it crash again ... afaik.
27 > yeah you could argue with raid6 you can _only_ lose two disks, whereas
28 > if you lose the right disks with raid01 you can lose 3 and still rebuild.
29 > raid 0+1 (as opposed to raid10, slightly different) gives you great
30 > speed and at least one drive you can lose.
31 > however, you are not protected by silent bit corruption but then you are
32 > using btrfs elsewhere.
33
34 ... for the OS, yes ... and maybe for the target of virt-backup.
35
36 > myself i would use lvm to partition and then at least you can move
37 > things around later; btrfs lets you do the same afaiu
38 > _always_ have your hotspare in the system, then it takes less time to
39 > come back up to 100%
40 > nothing is quite as scary as having a system waiting on the post and a
41 > screwdriver before rebuild can even start
42
43 good suggestion, sure.
44
45 That would mean rebuilding the arrays to a RAID6 over 4 or 5 disks and
46 keeping one aside.
49 >> time for a break here.
50 > i'd strongly recommend such monitoring software as munin to have running
51 > -- this way you can watch trends like io times increasing over time and
52 > act on them before things start feeling sluggish
53
54 I will take a look into it and check how much time I need to learn and
55 set up.
56
57 > well earned break :)
58