From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: extending /usr partition...
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 06:36:35
1 On Sunday 22 March 2009, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 14:13 -0700, BRM wrote:
3 > > With all the words of LVM2 going on, I feel it is only appropriate
4 > > to also mention the risk.
5 > >
6 > > On a desktop I had installed LVM2 considering that I did need to
7 > > upgrade partitions every now and then and my previous solution was
8 > > add another drive/partition and cross mount - e.g. like done with
9 > > /usr/local under /usr, which worked fairly well. LVM2 worked great
10 > > - until one of the drives crashed and I was trying to figure out
11 > > what was on it. From that pov, volume management is a pain. I did
12 > > figure out what I had mounted to it - but only after deconstructing
13 > > the LVM configuration file to match it up with what I had put
14 > > there. (And no, I had not yet gotten to doing an LVM soft-RAID
15 > > solution to map a single LVM partition to two drives, which would
16 > > certainly have helped.) I got my system working by adding a new
17 > > drive that was not part of the volume group, and removing the old
18 > > drives from the volume group. Fortunately, I had my volume setup so
19 > > that they one partition was not made up of non-overlaping
20 > > partitions on different drives. (e.g. partition A = sda1 + sda2
21 > > instead of sda1 + sdb1.)
22 > >
23 > > So, unless you are looking to use LVM in a soft-RAID solution
24 > > between multiple physical drives, not multiple partitions on the
25 > > same drive, (e.g. partition A = sda1 + sda2, with mirror on
26 > > sdb1+sdb2), then I would not suggest it as should anything happen,
27 > > it'll make data recovery that much harder.
28 > >
29 > > Just 2 cents for the pot.
30 >
31 > With or without LVM if you lose a drive then you've lost the data on
32 > it. LVM does have the capability of assembling a partially damaged
33 > volume group just not a partially damaged logical volume which, when
34 > you think about it, makes sense.
35 >
36 > And you can also throw in the standard warning about backing up your
37 > data.
38
39 The point is that LVM adds an extra layer of complexity.
40
41 I used LVM paired with soft RAID, and when I needed to boot from a
42 liveCD I discovered that I had to rebuild the setup by hand.
43
44 When you're in trouble it is pristine to have a quick way out instead of
45 being "swamped". I had my notes and managed to reckon the configuration
46 (cold sweating!), but at the first occasion I reverted my system to
47 plain RAID.
48
49 Never used LVM for the few Gentoo server I manage.
50
51 That said backup+RAID is the way to go.
52
53 Cheers
54 Francesco
57 Linux Version 2.6.28-gentoo-r3, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Mar 8
58 12:38:59 CET 2009
59 Two 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 4018.04 Bogomips Total
60 aemaeth