From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bisect a problem going back months?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:49:42
1 On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm wondering if there is a Gentoo way to bisect a bug that's crept
3 > into my 64-bit Intel-based system (Intel process, motherboard and
4 > graphics) over the last few months. Fundamentally when this bug
5 > appears it generates a complete X crash back to the gdm login. My
6 > suspicion is that it's related to the Gentoo push to use firefox-bin
7 > and 32-bit Flash until some security issues were addressed but I don't
8 > know that for sure.
9 >
10 > Are there specific overlays I'd want to add using layman that would
11 > allow me to get back to earlier versions of the Intel graphics driver,
12 > 64-bit Firefox and the now masked versions of Flash I was using say
13 > 2-3 months ago? At this point I don't know for sure that what I need
14 > isn't in portage and just masked. I'll start reviewing that this
15 > evening. This post was primarily just to figure out what my options
16 > might be.
17 >
18 > I've never used sunrise or sunset, etc. Maybe it's as easy as adding
19 > one of those to layman and then bisecting my way through some
20 > experiments to figure out where the problem first appeared?
21
22 You can get old ebuilds from http://sources.gentoo.org, and maybe take
23 whole portage tree snapshot from a given point in time (never tried
24 it). Or maybe there are portage webrsync snapshots going back (again,
25 never used them).
26
27 If you have demerge installed it should have taken snapshots of which
28 packages you had installed at each time you ran emerge as well. I
29 think that'll still depend on those old versions still being in the
30 tree, which for security fixes etc they usually are not kept, but all
31 should be on http://sources.gentoo.org