From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 15:48:53
1 On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The truth is, as designs
3 > go, sysvinit is a /terrible/ design. It only lasted 30 years because it
4 > forces all the tricky bits to be someone else's problem
7 I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying "terrible" - it does what it does
8 reasonably well. I just doesn't do much. When people compare
9 "systemd vs sysvinit" they're usually comparing systemd vs some other
10 service manager, since all sysvinit does on 99% of installations is
11 spawn some gettys and run the service manager.
12
13 One of the things that is obviously missing from sysvinit is the
14 ability to make non-persistent runtime changes. You can tell it to
15 re-read inittab, but you can't say "please spawn 1 more getty, but
16 don't do that next boot." The closest you could get to that is
17 modifying inittab, refreshing init, then restoring inittab and not
18 refreshing init.
19
20 Systemd makes gettys just an instanced service, and you can of course
21 start/stop those at will. I believe you can also feed systemd a unit
22 without actually putting it on disk anywhere, though I'd need to
23 double-check that. Since it uses D-Bus there is a lot you can do with
24 it via IPC, and in fact that is how the various helper programs
25 actually work.
28 Rich