From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: ctwm@×××××××.se
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] broken fonts in vmware-player, realplayer
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:37:11
1 On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 02:12:40PM -0500, Michael George wrote:
2 > I recently upgraded my kernel and a few other packages on my system.
3 > Now when I start up vmware-player, I don't get any fonts -- just little
4 > blocks. I noticed the same thing when I start realplayer. Both seem to
5 > work fine, but it's rather hard to work with them when I cannot see the
6 > fonts 1n the windows.
7 >
8 > I have an amd64 system and have asked over there and someone suggested
9 > perhaps my gtk font paths are broken. I run CTWM rather than Gnome or
10 > KDE (if that makes a difference...) and I'm not sure where they would be
11 > broken that I need to fix them. In the past they have "just worked".
12 >
13 > I ran kcontrol and checked to see if its fonts seem to be appearing
14 > right, and they display fine. I found a reference when searching online
15 > to gconftool-2, but I'm not sure what settings/directories I should look
16 > at in there...
17 >
18 > So far, I am not finding anything useful through Google. If anyone has
19 > any references that I should or could read to help me with this, I'm all
20 > ears.
21 >
22 > I'm posting this to the gentoo-user and ctwm lists, as both the distro
23 > and window manager would be involved...
24 >
25 > Some package versions that might be relevant:
26 > gtk+: both 1.2.10-r12 and 2.10.6 are installed
27 > gtk+extra: 2.1.1
28 > gtk-engines: 2.8.2
29 > gtk-engines-xfce: 2.2.8-r1
30 > emul-linux-x86-gtklibs: 10.0.r1
31 > gentoo-sources (kernel): 2.6.19-r5
32 > ctwm: 3.7
33 >
34 > I recently upgraded a bunch of the emul-linux-x86 libraries.
35 > I have tried to remove and re-emerge vmware-player to no avail.
36
37 I user on the gentoo-amd64 list lead me to the answer. I had upgraded
38 emul-linux-x86-gtklibs to 10.0-r1, but the qt3 USE flag was set in
39 make.conf. I turned off that flag and rebuild the library and all is
40 well!
41
42 Gentoo users are awesome!
45 -M
46
47 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
48 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list