From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU/distcc combination question.
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:42:49
1 On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 22:11:34 -0500, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > I'm trying to run a distccserver in a 32-bit VM on a 64-bit host, for
4 > the benefit of my ancient 32-bit-only netbook. Yeah, "it'll work" using
5 > the native 64-bit host OS. But any stuff that links against 32-bit
6 > libraries is going to be sent back to the netbook to compile locally.
7 > That defeats the whole purpose of distcc. This is why I want the 32-bit
8 > VM to compile for the 32-bit Atom. Here's the launch script for the
9 > 32-bit VM on the i3 machine...
10
11 I used to take a different approach. Instead of a VM I used a chroot
12 that was a clone of the netbook, except that make.conf in the chroot
13 included buildpkg in FEATURES and the netbook's make.conf have --usepkg in
14 DEFAULT_OPTs. PKGDIR was an NFS share accessible to both.
15
16 Then I would simply emerge whatever I wanted in the chroot, then emerge it
17 on the netbook. No messing around with distcc, which will always run some
18 stuff on the local system, instead everything but unpacking the package
19 tarballs was done in the VM.
20
21 This approach meant that I could easily script the build process for
22 several systems, including a 486 box was running at the time. I later
23 switched to using systemd containers instead of chroots.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?