From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [off topic] Opteron CPU missing chips on the bottom
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 14:44:08
1 On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 13:51:31 GMT Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > I purchased a used g34 opteron off of fleabay (sold as working with no
3 > mention of this) and I noticed that it is missing some of the bits on
4 > the bottom
5
6 Do you mean the pins that mate with the socket?
7
8 > ... and that most of them are crooked,
9
10 Send it back! Don't even touch it. Any attempt to straighten a pin will snap
11 it off, as like as not.
12
13 --->8
14
15 > I noticed many CPU's sold on ebay have this issue (in those cases they
16 > mentioned it) but I can't understand how it happens, for instance I
17 > noticed a 6386 for sale where they mentioned that it was missing a few
18 > and because of that it doesn't work in a dual socket configuration.
19
20 Sometimes a CPU chip comes out faulty in the specific respect that it can't
21 operate in SMP, so those pins are removed and the chip is sold as a
22 monoprocessor.
25 Regards,
26 Peter.