From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up if you start X with startx; xorg-server suid flag
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 08:08:57
1 On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 01:57:02 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 01:28:17AM -0500, wrote
6 > >> * According to /usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-server/ChangeLog
7 > >> USE="suid" has been enabled as of December 20, 2012. If you do
8 > >> not enable it, you will not be able to run startx as a regular
9 > >> user. xdm and other X login managers will still work.
10 > > Let me re-phrase that. A USE="suid" flag has been created. If
11 > > you do not enable it, you will not be able to run startx as a
12 > > regular user.
15 > I checked here and it must be enabled in my profile. I don't have it
16 > in make.conf or any other portage file that I edit. I use the KDE
17 > profile for those who are wondering. It may save time
18 > looking/checking it.
21 It's not in the profile, the xorg-server ebuild sets USE="suid" on by
22 default.
23
24 Most likely is that Walter has USE="-suid" in his make.conf and sets it
25 back on for things he's checked out personally. Meaning that in this
26 case one slipped through.
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com