From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Canonical place to list modules to load
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:23:20
1 On Friday 19 June 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 19 June 2009 00:08:04 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:45:50 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 > > > Why did they *have* to move it to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6.
5 > >
6 > > They didn't, they moved it from there to /etc/conf.d where all the other
7 > > rc config files live.
8 > >
9 > > > I am still confused with the difference between /etc/rc.conf
10 > > > and /etc/conf.d/rc ...
11 > >
12 > > Then moved that one out of /etc/conf.d :(
13 >
14 > Lets not confuse the fellow with our awesome wit :-)
15 >
16 > Mick, it's a cleanup operation with openrc to get things a bit more sane.
17 >
18 > Unix let's you put config files any damn place you want them. So it's up to
19 > you to put them someplace sane. The recent trend is to use a structure like
20 >
21 > /etc/thing.conf
22 > /etc/thing.d/*
23 >
24 > The first one is used for global settings that affect the entire package
25 > (or system in this case as it's openrc).
26 > The second has individual files, one for each logical sub-section. Package
27 > managers can then update individual bits independently - trying to do
28 > updates to one massive file with sed is a distinctly non-trivial operation.
29 >
30 > With baselayout-1, the layout was a bit haphazard. baselayout-2 and openrc
31 > took the opportunity to tidy all this up.
32
33 Thank you for the explanation.
34
35 I am running stable x86 on all my boxen at the moment. I guess I'll have to
36 become accustomed to the new set up soon.
37 --
38 Regards,
39 Mick