From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New PC, new boot concepts
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:13:12
1 On Friday 19 Dec 2014 15:46:43 Todd Goodman wrote:
2 > * Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [141219 10:22]:
3 > [SNIP]
4 >
5 > > I am trying to find out what is considered good practice as far as
6 > > UEFI/MBR and boot management goes.
7 >
8 > FWIW, I've built recent machines with UEFI/GPT but I mostly build recent
9 > machines using BIOS-mode/GPT or MBR. It usually depends on how well the
10 > mobo I'm using works with either.
11 >
12 > Some of the mobos I've used have some seriously crummy UEFI
13 > implementations that look like they installed Windows and that worked so
14 > didn't bother testing any further.
15 >
16 > I don't dual-boot windows so BIOS/GPT works OK (I believe windows still
17 > assumes UEFI == GPT and BIOS == MBR but I don't know.)
18 >
19 > Obviously I'm not using secure boot if I'm running in BIOS mode.
20 >
21 > Just my $.02,
22
23 Thanks Todd,
24
25 Are you saying that there is no benefit in moving to UEFI for Linux usage, if
26 the MoBo can boot in conventional BIOS mode?
29 Regards,
30 Mick