From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sendmail woes
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:20:58
1 Александър Л. Димитров <aleks_d@×××.de> writes:
2
3 > Hello all,
4 >
5 > Probably the sendmail-list would be the better place for this rant
6 > but I think I'll check with you guys first, just to see whether or not
7 > I've missed something obvious.
8
9 Yes it is and in my experience you will get help there. Keep your
10 fingers crossed for Per Hedlund to respond if you do post there.
11
12 Keep in mind that I have configured sendmail so many times I can't
13 even count them but every time I have to completely refresh my memory.
14 What I'm getting at is that any advice I give here may be tainted with
15 poorly remembering the steps I've been thru.
16
17 With the part about sendmail not knowing what host it is running on:
18 You can solve this by how you list the localhost in /etc/hosts.
19
20 I don't remember the exact reasons or format but I believe sendmail
21 calls `gethostbyname' which looks first at /etc/hosts.
22
23 This is the format I currently have:
24
25 127.0.0.1 reader.local.lan reader localhost
26
27 In your case you might try (to conform with the posted sendmail.mc):
28
29 127.0.0.1 myhost.local myhost localhost
30
31 A further point about documentation... you may have mentioned this
32 but I did not see it.
33
34 The document /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README
35 Has a lot of help but may be thin on exact details at times.
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list