From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Well, I went about updating my system again. (day 6)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 14:12:28
1 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 2016-12-08, Kevin Monceaux <Kevin@××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 06:42:21PM -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> --> X11 would probably need to be shut down two which is equivalent to a
7 >>> reboot on a desktop system anyway.
8 >>
9 >> Shutting down X11 doesn't appear to be equivalent to a reboot on my desktop.
10 >> If I shut down X11, my uptime still keeps accumulating.
11 >
12 > I think he meant that from a "desktop productivity" standpoint, the
13 > two are the same: you have to close every single program you are using
14 > and then start over.
15
16 It's an annoyance factor.
17
18 When I have to shut down the X11 session, I can as well reboot. There's
19 enough software that can not reasonably be run within tmux.
20
21 It's like having to entirely clear out your fridge and/or freezer every
22 couple days because it needs to be rebooted, and then putting everything
23 back in. Who would put up with that?