From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:35:22
1 Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> Tasytea has a good idea on using sets if you prefer that way.  I rarely
5 >> use sets but a lot of people love them.  It does have benefits but it
6 >> just isn't for me.
7 >>
8 > I am actually very interested with sets. I haven't read enough about it
9 > though. But I think I will try it out, it might be a neater way of
10 > dealing with packages.
11 >
12 >> Hope that helps.
13 >>
14 >> Dale
15 >>
16 >> :-)  :-)
17 >>
18 > It certainly did!
19 >
20 > Cheers :-)
23 If sets were available when I started and I used from the beginning, I
24 may like using them more.  I'm just so used to doing it the way I've
25 done it for ages that I don't use them.  I did at one point when, I
26 think it was KDE anyway, was making some major changes and I updated
27 everything but KDE and only updated KDE when I felt there was a more
28 stable release.  May have been the KDE3 to KDE4 mess.  If you start
29 using it now, you may fall in love with like a lot of others have.
30
31 On the --oneshot option, I get all my stuff installed and before I do my
32 first update, a couple weeks later, I add the option to make.conf.  Then
33 if I want to install something that I use, I add --select y so it adds
34 to the world file.  As a starting point, this is my emerge defaults from
35 make.conf:
36
37 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v
38 --quiet-build=y -1 --unordered-display"
39
40 That generally gives me a stable system even tho I run unstable on a lot
41 of packages.  You can add or remove as you see fit.  May make a good
42 starting point is all.  You may also want to look into the following
43 options in make.conf if you haven't already:
44
45 MAKEOPTS
46 FEATURES
47 PORTAGE_NICENESS
48 PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND
49
50 All those are good to set but it depends on your system what to set them
51 at.  Generally, CPU abilities and memory determine that.
52
53 Dale
54