From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Digikam issue
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:34:34
1 CJoeB wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > First, I have searched the archives and didn't find anything that seemed
5 > to help.
6 >
7 > The main issue here is with digikam. I used to have it working, but
8 > some upgrade or other seemed to screw things up.
9 >
10 > Digikam loads just fine. It recognizes and displays the pictures in the
11 > folders on my hard drive. When my camera is plugged in and I select
12 > "Import --> Camera", my camera appears in the list (not the specific
13 > model, but it recognizes that it is a Canon). However, the images on
14 > the camera are not displayed. I tried entering the camera manually.
15 > Doing this, it wants a mount point which defaults to /mnt/camera. If I
16 > then select "Import-->Camera", I get the message "Failed to connect to
17 > camera". The correct mount point was created. BTW, I AM a member of
18 > the plugdev group.
19 >
20 > As a side issue, if I assume that I need to mount the camera manually, I
21 > have always used the kwikdisk utility that is part of KDE. Despite the
22 > fact that this appears as a menu item, it won't load. Equery tells me
23 > that this belongs to the kdf package and I tried re-emerging kdf, but
24 > kwikdisk still fails to load.
25 >
26 > I am at a loss here and don't know what to do next. If anyone can help,
27 > I need to be "led by the nose".
28 >
29 > One would think that things would get easier to use in Linux, but that
30 > isn't the case here.
31 >
32 > Regards,
33 >
34 > Colleen
38 Are you also in the USB group? My Canon is USB and I had to be in it
39 for the camera to work. You may want to try running as root. If it
40 works then, it's a permissions issue. If not, it may be hardware/software.
41
42 Also, I use gtkam to get my pics. It works pretty well. I just happen
43 to like the way I can do the names when I download.
44
45 Dale
46