From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED]Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth speakers
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 14:22:17
1 On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 11:02:21 BST Michael wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 09:51:57 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, 14 May 2022 17:34:58 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > On Thursday, 5 May 2022 16:22:56 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > > > Is there a knack to getting my plasma desktop to operate happily with
6 > > > > my
7 > > > > new Bluetooth speakers? I can get a connection using the Bluetooth
8 > > > > control panel, and the sound device appears in the Audio control
9 > > > > panel,
10 > > > > but testing either speaker produces no sound.
11 > > >
12 > > > I think I've solved the problem. No, not BT but with a wired connection
13 > > > I
14 > > > do now have sound. BT can wait until I need it.
15 > >
16 > > Wrong again. In fact, the problem was that pulseaudio was not running. A
17 > > simple 'pulseaudio start' - et voila! Sound.
18 > >
19 > > I found this along the way:
20 > >
21 > > # pulseaudio --dump-conf
22 > > ### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
23 > > daemonize = no
24 > > [...]
25 > >
26 > > Why is it set to No by default? Isn't PA deaf without the daemon running?
27 >
28 > Pulseaudio is currently set to "daemonize = no" by default and it should
29 > also be set "autospawn = no", in order for Plasma to use pipewire instead
30 > of pulseaudio. Pipewire is the new audio solution, which is meant to
31 > satisfy use cases previously addressed with pulseaudio and/or jack,
32 > although it should co-exist and work with both regardless.
33 >
34 > As I understand it originally udev would probe, auto-detect and hotplug
35 > devices, calling pulseaudio to process audio. I am not up to speed how
36 > pipewire now interacts with pulseaudio in depth, but I can see on a Plasma
37 > system which has pulseaudio installed, pipewire is launched and uses
38 > pipewire- pulse.conf:
39 >
40 > \_ /usr/bin/wireplumber
41 > \_ /usr/bin/pipewire
42 > \_ /usr/bin/pipewire -c pipewire-pulse.conf
43 >
44 > I have audio working, but no pulseaudio process shows up.
45
46 Somewhere around here I said I had too many USE flag staatements under /etc/
47 portage, so I removed package.use and just set whatever flags were needed to
48 install all my packages. That was fine, but it meant that USE=pulseaudio was
49 only set on alsa-plugins, which was fine as far as it went, but nothing else
50 could use PA. Now that I've put pulseaudio back into make.conf and recompiled,
51 I hope for a quieter life, if you see what I mean...
52
53 Thanks again for everyone's patience.
56 Regards,
57 Peter.