From: pat <pat@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] IDE & PATA & DMA & removable disk => problems :-(
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:15:51
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have problem with DMA for my disk. I'll try to explain the situation.
4 I have IBM TP T43 and I'm trying to setup the DMA for the disks/cdrom.
5
6 The system disk is PATA disk (found at
7 http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T43), so and there's a removable
8 cd/dvd, and I've bougth an internal frame for second hdd and its IDE disk.
9
10 The problem is that I'm not able to set the DMA up.
11
12 When I try to set the DMA:
13
14 hdparm -d 1 /dev/sda
15 /dev/sda:
16 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
17 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
18
19 hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
20 /dev/hdc:
21 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
22 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
23 using_dma = 0 (off)
24
25 There's a second problem. I want to setup in my fstab the mount point
26 for the second HDD like this:
27 /dev/hdc5 /mnt/sgt1 reiserfs user,noauto 0 2
28 /dev/hdc6 /mnt/sgt2 reiserfs user,noauto 0 2
29
30 and when I boot with cd/dvd I receive during the boot this message:
31 Failed to open device "/dev/sda5": no such device or address
32
33 and the fsck get stuck with this message:
34 Fsck could not correct all errors, manual repair needed
35 Give root password for maintenance
36 (or type Control-D to continue):
37
38 These my problems :-\
39
40 I want to this:
41 1) to be able enable DMA for all devices: system HDD, second HDD and cd/dvd
42 2) I want to have defined mount points in the fstab and be able to
43 changing the second hdd and cd/dvd without problems
44
45 Please could someone help me ???
46
47 Thanks a lot for the help.