From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CHOST recursive problem
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 03:24:18
1 Hi,
2
3 due to my installation fault half a year ago, I have to change CHOST
4 from i386* to i686* to be able to install gcc-4.1 & Co. since a
5 better CPU as i386* is needed. I am running an
6 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+.
7
8 As discussed previously it was suggested to change CHOST and do
9 a emerge -e system; emerge -e world then following the gcc-upgrade-
10 and gentoo-upgrade-guide.
11
12 I tried that (after doing a backup of my whole system), but failed as
13 soon gcc was needed, cause the corrected CHOST implies, that there is
14 gcc already there, which supports (at least by its name...) the "new"
15 CPU. But my old ( == current, not upgraded) gcc is named after the
16 wrong CHOST nameing (i386-pc-linux-gnu).
17
18 Naturally none of the tools was able to find the "new" gcc -- or
19 using the old one instead.
20
21 The situation now is:
22 To upgrade to the new gcc-4.1 I & Co. have to change CHOST in
23 beforehand. After changing CHOST no compiler will be found and I
24 will no longer be able to upgrade to gcc-4.1 & Co.
25
26 Recursive doom ?
27
28 My idea -- and I am completly unsure, whether this would word or make
29 things even more worse -- is to install a stage-1 tarball (2006-1)
30 over my current installation abd keeping track of possibly overwriting
31 personlaized configurations and starting emergeing system and world
32 after that.
33
34 Would this work and lead to a "perfrect system" ;) again ???
35
36 Thank you very much an help in advance !
37
38 Kind regards,
39 mcc
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list