From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HA-Proxy or iptables?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:54:17
1 On 29/08/2013 08:54, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > Hello list!
3 >
4 > Here's my scenario:
5 >
6 > Currently there is a server performing 2 functions; one runs on, let's
7 > say, port 2000, and another one runs on port 3000.
8 >
9 > Due to some necessary changes, especially the need to (1) provide more
10 > resource for a function, and (2) delegate management of the functions
11 > to different teams, we are going to split the server into two.
12 >
13 > The problem is: Many users -- spread among 80+ branches throughout the
14 > country -- access the server using IP Address instead of DNS name.
15 >
16 > So, my plan was to leave port 2000's application on the original
17 > server, implement port 3000's application on a new server, and have
18 > all access to port 3000 of the original server to be redirected to
19 > same port on the new server.
20 >
21 > I can implement this using iptables SNAT & DNAT ... or I can use HA-Proxy.
22 >
23 > Can anyone provide some benefit / drawback analysis on either solution?
24
25 I don't have any practical experience of using HA-Proxy. However, if you
26 are sizing up Netfilter as a solution then I would suggest that you also
27 consider Linux Virtual Server (LVS). It provides a lightweight NAT
28 implementation and scales well. It is natively administered with the
29 ipvsadm tool but I would recommend using ldirectord or such:
30
31 http://horms.net/projects/ldirectord/
32
33 --Kerin