From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] skylake and x265 movie display
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 00:01:22
1 On 6/27/19 4:46 PM, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > The error was because i ran it in a remote shell. Running it locally
3 > now and it shows HEVC. I don't have any 8 bit HEVCs files so i'm
4 > transcoding one to 8bit now.
7 > Ok confirmed that 8 bit HEVC is low CPU and doesn't skip frames, so
8 > that's that.
9
10 Well, at least that's been sorted out. I guess Intel made some changes
11 with the newer NUCs.
12
13 Way back when I set mine up I found a thread on Intel's forums
14 mentioning not all hardware is fully available in Legacy boot mode. No
15 reasons why (maybe they didn't bother testing it so they didn't provide
16 access?)
17
18 At least you don't have to mess around with UEFI - but as I mentioned
19 earlier firmware updates can help performance with the video as board
20 and gpu firmware get updated. The problem is newer firmware on some
21 devices remove legacy boot support. It's UEFI or nothing.
22
23 Dan