From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ansible, puppet and chef
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:00:37
1 On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:43:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Puppet seems to me a good product for a large site with 1000 hosts.
4 > Not so much for ~20 or so. Plus puppet's language and configs get large
5 > and hard to keep track of - lots and lots of directory trees with many
6 > things mentioning other things. (Nagios has the same problem if you
7 > start keeping host, services, groups and commands in many different
8 > files)
9
10 I'm using puppet for small installs (< 10 hosts) and am quite happy with
11 it. It's wonderful to push some changes and have all these hosts
12 configure themselves accordingly. Not to mention the joy of adding new
13 hosts.
14
15 The configuration can get large, but then again, these are all things
16 that you are already managing on the host. Better to do it all in one
17 place, rather than on each individual host with all its associated
18 inconsistencies.
19
20 Us being a ruby shop I never looked at ansible and I'm not even sure it
21 existed when we choose puppet.
22
23 One thing you can do to make the deployment easier for smaller scale
24 setups would be to use a masterless puppet. One less component to worry
25 about. Just distribute the puppet repository and run puppet apply.
26
27 Hans