From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] broken seamonkey :(
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 18:12:51
1 On Sunday 06 Sep 2015 03:45:26 lee wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > On Saturday 05 Sep 2015 14:06:27 lee wrote:
4
5 > >> What's the solution for a server which can be reached by different fqdns
6 > >> and IPs? What if the fqdns and IPs it can be reached by change over the
7 > >> lifetime of the certificates?
8 > >
9 > > If we are talking about changing subdomains, e.g.
10 > > mailserver1.mydomain.com and mailserver2.mydomain.com then you could use
11 > > a wildcard CN field descriptor in your certificate: *.mydomain.com
12 >
13 > just different fqdns and IPs with which the server can be reached during
14 > the lifetime of the certificate (which is only 10 years)
15 >
16 > Can you foresee all possible fqdns and IPs it might have in the next 10
17 > years?
18
19 OK, 10 years is rather long for a common certificate. In this case you should
20 consider setting up your own CA key and CA certificate, with which you sign
21 the server certificates. Server certificates can expire and/or be revoked,
22 you can update and publish a CRL, but the CA certificate will remain valid for
23 10 years.
24
25 As long as the new server certificate is signed by the same CA certificate,
26 the clients should not mind provided:
27
28 1. The client has accepted the CA certificate in its Authorities store and set
29 up an exception to mark it as trusted.
30 2. The CN of the new certificate contains the URI that the client is trying to
31 connect to.
32 3. The expiry date has not arrived yet.
33 4. The CRL does not contain the certificate (yet).
36 > I think it would be retarded to bind a certificate to a fqdn or IP. Both
37 > can change at any time. It's the certificate that counts and which can
38 > be verified by a fingerprint before accepting it. The host name and IP
39 > are entirely irrelevant for this. In some cases, you can even say that
40 > the certificate is for an organization, not for a particular host or
41 > device (operated by or being operated on behalf of the organization).
42
43 When you change the domain or IP address on a server you typically change its
44 certificate to reflect this too. You do not need to change the CA
45 certificate.
46
47 If you change the contents of the certificate then the fingerprint will change
48 too. Certificate verification tests include more than just the fingerprint.
51 > Or think of gpg: Binding a certificate to fqdn/IP would be like binding
52 > my gpg public key to the place (like my postal address) I am at so that
53 > I can decrypt something only when I happen to be at the right
54 > place. Then give me an option to add multiple places to my pubkey when
55 > creating it, and as soon as I'm at another place about which I haven't
56 > foreseen that I might be there some time, I will have a problem. For
57 > all I know, I could be travelling in a car or a train or an air plane.
58 >
59 > It's impractical. Change is a constant.
60
61 Sure, but (although you could) gpg is not usually used to secure the
62 connection to a server. A server's identity is interlinked with its domain
63 name, or IP address. The identity for gpg is linked to the email address of
64 its owner. You wouldn't sign/encrypt your work's email with the gpg key for
65 your private email address.
68 > > If we are talking about a multidomain certificate, then you would have
69 > > the main domain name in CN and add all the remaining domain names in the
70 > > subjectAltName field.
71 > >
72 > > For example:
73 > >
74 > > [req]
75 > > req_extensions = v3_req
76 > >
77 > > [ v3_req ]
78 > >
79 > > # Extensions to add to a certificate request
80 > > [snip...]
81 > >
82 > > subjectAltName = @alt_names
83 > >
84 > > [alt_names]
85 > > DNS.1 = mydomain.com
86 > > DNS.2 = mydomain.net
87 > > DNS.3 = www.mydomain.com
88 > > DNS.4 = mx.sub.mydomain.com
89 > > DNS.5 = mx.someotherdomain.com
90 > > IP.1 = 123.456.78.9
91 > > IP.2 = 987.654.32.1
92 > >
93 > > You could specify the same on the CLI when you are generating the self
94 > > signed certificate.
95 >
96 > At least that's possible. How would I add that without changing the
97 > existing certificate? I don't want to irritate the users, don't want to
98 > have the phone calls about it and don't want trouble with the odd client
99 > which happens to have been updated and refuses to accept the certificate
100 > ...
101 >
102 > See what I mean? It's impractical.
103
104 Yes. It could be impractical at this stage, because the architecture of your
105 PKI has to change.
106
107 However, you can treat your existent self-signed certificate as a CA and use
108 it to sign other certificates which contain different IP addresses, fqdns,
109 etc. depending on the server(s) in question.
110
111 If your clients have accepted your self-signed certificate as a CA, then it
112 should not cause a problem.
115 Regards,
116 Mick