From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Init
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 08:12:27
1 Dale wrote:
2 > JDM wrote:
3 >> When switching from runlevel 3 to 1 "init 1" seems to work as I
4 >> would expect. When I "init 3" applications hang, I have to keep
5 >> hitting return to get any progress. Usually I end up rebooting as X
6 >> won't start.
7 >>
8 >> Question - should I be using init to change runlevels or is there a
9 >> better way of doing this?
10 >>
11 >> This has been happening for a long time and definitely before openrc.
12 >> I usually reboot to avoid the hang ups.
13 >> JDM
14 >
15 > You should be using the rc command tho init should work in theory.
16 > Example, "rc single" or "rc default" or whatever runlevel you want to
17 > switch to. That is without the quotes tho.
18 >
19 > I did notice earlier that when I switch to single, it is not
20 > unmounting some file systems for some reason. When I try to switch
21 > back to default, rc sort of pukes. If I unmount everything first, it
22 > switches cleanly. I think openrc has some . . . weirdness still.
23 >
24 > You can check out the rc man page for more info. That help any?
25 >
26 > Dale
27 >
31 Let me add this, if you type rc then hit tab twice, you should see some
32 more rc type commands. You may want to check into some of them too.
33 They provide info and do other things, including adding/removing things
34 from a runlevel. I'm assuming you are a bit new to Gentoo. I may be
35 wrong and it wouldn't be the first time either.
36
37 Dale
38