From: Raphael MD <raphaxx@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best approach to a home NAS server
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 13:38:07
1 >>On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:57 AM bobwxc <bobwxc@××.com> wrote:
2
3 > >>在 2021/1/20 上午8:04, Raphael MD 写道:
4 > >>
5 > >> Hello folks!
6 > >>
7 > >>
8 > >> What could be the best approach to a small home server with a 20’s
9 > >> core Xeon and 32GB of ram?
10 > >>
11 > >> I'm thinking of serving a NAS, a virtual machine to record 2 cameras
12 > >> with ZoneMider and a DB server/php.
13 > >>
14 > >> Some configurations I'm guessing are described below.
15 > >>
16 > >> 1)Install FreeNAS, formatting my 3 disk in ZFS raid and setup all
17 > >> stuff upon FreeNas using VirtualBox (1-Linux to ZoneMinder and 1-Linux
18 > >> to a small host php/db server);
19 > >>
20 > >> 2)Install a FreeBSD ZFS using Xen and setup two guests, a Linux Guest
21 > >> to ZoneMinder + DB/php and a FreeNas guest;
22 > >>
23 > >> 3)Install a Linux ZFS host, ZoneMinder and DB/php upon it and a
24 > >> virtual machine for FreeNas;
25 > >>
26 > >> 4)Install a Linux ZFS, setup a NAS on Linux, and run a VirtualBox
27 > >> machine to ZoneMinder and another small server.
28 > >>
29 > >> Thanks!
30 > >>
31 > >>
32 > >> M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias
33 > >> Nuclear Engineer | Reactors
34 > >>
35 > >> Secure e-mail: raphael.mejias.dias@××××××××××.com
36 > >> <mailto:raphael.mejias.dias@××××××××××.com>
37 > >> PGP Key for raphaxx@×××××.com <mailto:raphaxx@×××××.com>:
38 > >> https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87BC5A746072F951
39 > >> <https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87BC5A746072F951>
40 > >Here are some my options,
41 > >1. freenas host, using dockers for ZoneMinder and php/db server;
42 > > (or linux host and docker for nas and other server)
43 > >2. try ESXi, and install virtual machine like freenas and linux servers.
44 >
45 > >I recommend No.2, since you server is powerful and ESXi may get a good
46 > >performance.
47 > >
48 > >--
49 > >bobwxc
50 > >F645 5C7A 08E8 A637 24C6 D59E 36E9 4EAB B53E 516B
53 I never have used Docker, is Docker better than Xen? I'm curious if it is
54 easier to understand and maintain than some standalone virtual machine.
55
56 Regarding the ESXi I'm looking for some free solution, because this will be
57 a home server.
58
59 In the case of ZFS, is Linux stable for production nowadays? I've read and
60 appear to be in very good condition now.
61
62 Thanks.
63
64 M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias