From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:52:24
1 On Apr 19, 2013 10:24 PM, "Jarry" <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 19-Apr-13 16:21, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >
5 >> Previously I had asked for some help with a preconfigured image, but
6 >> decided against that, and have been playing and reading.
7 >>
8 >> I'm ready to get down to brass tacks with the ultimate goal of getting a
9 >> new gentoo vm up and running on my esxi host this weekend.
10 >>
11 >> Can someone point me to some recent/decent docs on best practices for
12 >> this? Ideally gentoo related, but just general linux related would be ok
13 >> too.
14 >>
15 >> Things like vmware-tools installation (is open-vm-tools good enough
16 >> nowadays?), time syncing, snapshots/backups, etc is what I'm looking for.
19 > May I join the club? I have been running a few Gentoo-VMs
20 > for some time, but I'm still quite new to this "ESXi-world".
21 > But one I know for sure is that hypervisor-virtualization
22 > is much more complex than OS-virtualization (i.e. VServer
23 > or OpenVZ which I have used previously).
24 >
25 > vmware-tools: I have tested open-vm-tools but now I'm running
26 > my VMs without them because every kernel upgrade was a real
27 > pain in a**. And trully I did not see any benefit in running
28 > vm-tools (maybe it would be different on desktop). For
29 > shutdown of Gentoo-VMs from ESXi I use ssh-script or
30 > hibernation.
31 >
32 > Snapshots are very well covered by esxi and for backup I use
33 > ghetto-vcb tool (script). It tried backup&restore on one
34 > of my running Gentoo-VM servers and it works like charm.
35 >
36 > For VM-hardware I used (iirc) CentOS template, because
37 > with "other linux 64b" I did not get hw-options I wanted
38 > to use (LSI-Logic Parallel SCSI controller, and VMXNET3
39 > network adapter).
40 >
41 > Unfortunatelly there is not a lot info about Gentoo & ESXi
42 > and what exists is quite outdated (i.e. Gentoo-wiki). But
43 > I used guidelines for general linux-VM, and I consulted
44 > problems on VMware community web-page...
45 >
46 > Jarry
47 > --
48
49 Well, for me, XenServer-based virtualization is very very simple. And if I
50 compile the kernel with all Xen PV (paravirtualized) 'FrontEnds', it runs
51 near-natively.
52
53 Only the xend daemon need some 'tweaking' to run properly.
54
55 Do a Google search for "gentoo xenserver" and if you find pages written by
56 me, those are my experiences running Gentoo on top of XenServer,
57 successfully.
58
59 Rgds,