From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: app-text/xpdf
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 19:39:39
1 On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 06:06:33PM +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > > another application (e.g. a browser) but unlike xpdf I have not found a
4 > > > way of saving a file once opened without having to redownload it with
5 > > > the browser.
6 > >
7 > > I'd look into /tmp, it'll probably be there.
8 >
9 > It used to be the case that FF would drop temporary downloads in /tmp, but I
10 > can't find them in there any more. This is of particular interest for some
11 > flash videos which after I watched them I decide to save them, but can't find
12 > them anywhere. Ditto with Chromium, not idea where it saves such temporary
13 > files.
14
15 [getting OT regarding xpdf]
16
17 Yes, that's the flash plugin. It creates a file and then immediately deletes
18 it again. But thanks to the open architecture of a Linux system you can get it
19 back by copying from the file handle in /proc. I have a little script for
20 that which I'll attach to this message. It looks for all file handles that
21 link to a (now deleted) file called /tmp/Flash* and restores the link,
22 printing out the filename it thusly recovered. It could be a bit refined by
23 only looking for handles of flash player PIDs, but I guess a human wouldn't
24 perceive the difference anyway.
25
26 For youtube, I recommend youtube-dl. It lets you select the video format and
27 resolution (as offered), downloads the video and automatically renames the
28 file.
29 --
30 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
31 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
32
33 The problem with Perl jokes is that only the teller understands them.

recover-flash-videos text/plain