From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdadm --monitor & email
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:39:33
1 On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/13/2011 11:04 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >>
5 >> 4) Assuming I do get this working, while testing can i have the
6 >> program email me every 60 minutes whether things are good or bad, just
7 >> to test that it's actually working and getting results?
8 >
9 > I don't think you can get it to mail you when it's happy, but you can
10 > simulate a failure:
11 >
12 >  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.3
13
14 Thanks for the info Micheal.
15
16 I got mailx to send successfully to my GMail account using this page:
17
18 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Gmail_and_sSMTP
19
20 I'll read through the links you posted to look at creating a test
21 case. From the page you posted above I'm trying this at the command
22 line:
23
24 mdadm --monitor --mail=markknecht@×××××.com --delay=1800 /dev/md126
25
26 but I assume you think it won't do anything unless there's a problem
27 found. Do those options properly belong in /etc/conf.d/mdadm.conf as
28 the file itself seems to indicate?
29
30 mark@c2stable ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/mdadm
31 # /etc/conf.d/mdadm: config file for /etc/init.d/mdadm
32
33 # Misc options to pass to mdadm in monitor mode.
34 # For more info, run `mdadm --monitor --help` or see
35 # the mdadm(8) manpage.
36
37 MDADM_OPTS="--syslog"
38 mark@c2stable ~ $
39
40 Also, I have many RAIDs. Do they all get appended to the same monitor
41 command, or when started as a daemon does mdadm --monitor actually
42 monitor all RAIDs? (If you know...)
43
44 Thanks!
45